Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Re: The Girl with the White Name Re: The Girl with the White Name Re: The Girl with the White Name

     I'm from a small town in a rural part of the Northeast where diversity is less than existent. Nearly the entire population in both my hometown and throughout my state is white, so saying that I "understand where you are coming from" would be somewhat of a lie. However, I think your story is not only really relevant to the course objectives in this class, but also speaks volumes to where one is "supposed to" fit in. Even though my middle school was not ethnically or racially diverse, the disparity between groups was prevalent; just as it is during any pre-pubescent hell. There were kids that walked the walk and talked the talk, and then there were those that didn't. Guess where I fit in? I, too, had to choose a path to follow; to define myself when I barely knew who I was or wanted to be. I experienced that self-hatred and built up negative emotions because I wasn't who all the other kids wanted me to be, and while I was definitely not threatened, I wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms for being different. Like the heroines and female protagonists in the texts we've covered thus far in class, we've all had to make a choice at some point surrounding the path in which we will follow. Finding the balance between what the world sees and who we are is a tough one, but I think your story proves that it can be done even when peer pressure tries to tell you otherwise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment